Cure or precaution? We asked our dentists which is more important. A lot of emphasis was put on curing the symptoms and all agreed that educating the clients about the root cause of symptoms is equally important. Cavities for instance. The best way is to restrict their formation. Before you think about tooth cavity pain relief, make a few dietary changes to prevent new ones from forming.
Why do cavities form?
There are 4 crucial factors that contribute to dental cavity formation.
- Oral microbiome – there are millions of microbes in your mouth; some of them are harmful, some are beneficial
- Saliva and its properties – they are one of the determining factors in cavity formation with volume, minerals, pH
- Food – the nutrients in your food either make or break the remineralization process
- Time – when these three elements come together to create cavities
What does the remineralization of teeth mean?
Along with treatment, you can get cavity toothache relief from the remineralization procedure. It is a way of restoring minerals when the teeth experience a lot of wear and tear. Teeth cannot continually regenerate until you consume specific minerals and vitamins. For this, you need the right foods.
Foods that help to prevent cavities naturally
It’s no fun when you have cavities and you desperately search for measures for tooth cavity pain relief. Our dentists suggest taking these food items not only to prevent but heal cavities.
Vote for Vitamin D
Popularly known as the sunshine vitamin, this vitamin acts more like a hormone and helps the body to absorb phosphorus and calcium. If the body is taking supplements rich in minerals, monitor your regular dose of Vitamin D so that the supplements are properly absorbed in the body.
Get your sunny side up and soak up the sunlight as much as possible. Do not forget to eat dairy products like yogurt and milk.
A call to Calcium
Every time there is a piercing pain in your wisdom tooth cavity, you remember the words of your dentist inside your head. ‘Do not forget to take your calcium’. Don’t you wish that you had paid more attention?
Our dental experts at DM Dental have noticed that maximum dental cavities are a result of a lack of calcium in the patient’s diet. Calcium not only helps in rebuilding teeth on a regular basis but produces more saliva and allows remineralization.
It is not just dairy products which are great sources of calcium. You can consume grass-fed milk which can be digested easily. Rich in minerals, these products are safer to consume. Include seafood items like shrimp, clams, oyster and salmon in your diet. Plant-based items like nuts, cauliflower, broccoli, olives, and figs are rich in calcium too.
Make way for Magnesium
Whole grains are normally good for the body. As they are rich in iron and Vitamin B, they keep the gums healthy. If you are going for gum infection treatment Iowa, dentists will recommend food rich in magnesium. Think about foods like brown rice, bran, whole-grain cereals, and pasta.
Magnesium helps to control the balance of various nutrients like calcium and phosphorus. Larger calcium deposits can lead to demineralization of teeth. Include food items like cacao, leafy greens, molasses, squash seeds and avocado in your diet.
‘Krave’ for Vitamin K2
Like its little sunshine sister Vitamin D, Vitamin K2 also helps the body to absorb minerals in the body. Both the vitamins work harmoniously to ensure that the teeth have the right balance of magnesium, phosphorus and calcium for remineralization.
Food items like egg yolks, cod liver oil, chicken liver, and ground beef are abundant in Vitamin K2. And if you are a cheese lover, your go-to food is aged cheese.
Put your hands together for Phosphorus
Phosphorus levels about 3.5 are ideal for teeth and protect teeth against decay. But you should be careful about your phosphorus intake. Food items like nuts, beans and grains are rich in phosphorus, but they also contain phytic acid which is good only in moderation.
You can have your dose of phosphorus from other sources like eggs, dairy products, and meats. Phosphorus in animal proteins is easy to digest and absorb.
The following will help you in immediate pain relief for tooth cavity
- Licorice root: Licorice lollipop eliminates the possibility of tooth decay and cavities.
- Oil pulling is a traditional practice which involves swishing around coconut or sesame oil inside the mouth for about 20 minutes. You need to spit out the oil after rinsing the mouth. Oil helps to remove toxins and sesame oil reduces bacteria from the mouth.
- Chew sugar-free gum containing xylitol to stimulate saliva flow to reduce the possibility of cavities.
- Make your own remineralizing toothpaste with 4 tablespoons of calcium powder, ¼ cup of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of stevia, 2 tablespoons of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of sea salt to form toothpaste.
- Avoid phytic acid in eatables like rye, maize, wheat, kidney beans, pinto beans, broad beans, and blackeye beans.
- Contact an emergency dentist Iowa if you are suspecting tooth cavity and face pain.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water to get instant relief from tooth decay pain.
Are you facing tooth pulled pain, tooth extraction soreness or want to consult us about tooth cavity pain relief? At DM Dental, we can surely help.